Pinterest is simply a way to store websites of interest and to share what you’ve found with others. That makes using Pinterest for genealogy very easy. Here are five key search words to use for your genealogical endeavors:
- Genealogy : this search word brings up anything that has a genealogy tag. It can be a great way to simply see what’s newly pinned.
- [Surname] [key word] : just type a surname for a search and maybe another word. Many times just a surname search will come up with people of that surname, but you can narrow it down by choosing a key word at the top bar that appears. For example, Witherell Museum shows different clothing items that were once owned by a Witherell ancestor and are now in a museum.
- Genealogy [key word ] : Really this is great for anything genealogy related. You can search for genealogy organization, genealogy forms, genealogy crafts, genealogy quotes, genealogy humor, genealogy tips, genealogy free, German genealogy, Irish genealogy, etc. The ideas here are endless!
- Historical Events : I love adding more depth to my ancestors by knowing what was happening at certain point in their lives. You can search specifically for wars but you can also narrow that down to certain areas or battles. Search results can yield things like genealogical societies pin items in your area of interest, which gives you another resource.
- Ethnic Groups : Going along with the above, searching for an ethnic group can give you insight into your ancestor’s movements and life. For example, I had been confused by why my immigrant ancestors from what is now Croatia spoke German. Upon further research, I discovered that they were part of the Danube Swabians – Germans who settled in parts of southeastern Europe along the Danube during the 18th century. There is quite a bit of information pinned about that group and more.
- Geographic Areas : Another search to try is searching for a place. Some areas are quite small and may yield nothing but sometimes you can be surprised. You may find a historical organization or genealogical organization that pins items as well as other people searching in the same areas. If the area has any historical events attached to it, you can search with that in mind as well.
Are you using Pinterest for genealogy? Share below if you have and what it’s done for you, if anything!